The social media for business blog Now is Gone has a damn cool post by Geoff Livingston called The Seven Principles of Community Building. Nice to see this codified. Bloggers live much of this by instinct. This is GREAT advice.
1) Do not try to control the message
2) Honesty, ethics and transparencies are musts
3) Participation within the community is marketing (Heuer)
4) Communication to audiences is an out-dated 20th century concept (Rosen)
5) Build value for the community
6) Inspire your community with real, exciting information, not corporate propaganda
7) Intelligently manage your media forms (RSS, frequency, etc.) to build a stronger, loyal community
Thanks to Jim Tobin at Ignite Social Media for sharing this URL.